Uniquely handcrafted items make thoughtful and lasting gifts
~ ~ ~
Discovered Treasures Home ~ My Online Shop ~ Recycling Works! Home ~ FaceBook
~ ~ ~
and now, here are the

Bringing exposure to wonderful artisans whose shops have gone unnoticed or under appreciated.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Etched Porcelain

My introduction to clay involved a kick wheel, and it took me a while to get used to the electric version. I found an etsy shop, Sofia's Dad's Pots, that takes throwing a pot up a notch. Jim has spent many years experimenting and perfecting techniques to put intricate relief work on his masterfully crafted porcelain, creating impressive works of art. After applying a shellac resist, he uses hydro abrasion to reveal the design. I thought of how the Grand Canyon continues to be eroded away, and couldn't imagine how he accomplished this without using flowing water, but that is why he is a master potter!

 Jim's functionally artistic pieces are lead free, microwaveable, and dishwasher safe, so you can enjoy them for every day use or as intriguing focal point displays. He talks about the tactile quality in the etched pieces, and I do believe my fingers would be hard pressed not to dance on their enchanting surfaces. I can only imagine how many times his artistic pieces are caressed and marveled at during craft fairs. I find the brick pattern very pleasing, and done in yellow, has me remembering the Wizard of Oz - 'Follow the yellow brick road!'

Jim plays in the clay in Kentucky, ships internationally, and can be found on Facebook. Visit his blog to view an informative article he wrote for Pottery Making Illustrated that will take you through the process of making an etched bowl. He is a master in his craft, and I hope he is able to inspire and share his pottery genius with Sofia!

1 comment: